Friday, June 25, 2010

My First 10 Day Vipassana course

Today I finished my first 10-Day Vipassana course. I was pretty eager to do this course from more than a year. The motive for me to do course was more to remain secluded and practice nothing but meditation for 10 days. I was not so much interested in learning the technique, but the technique seems pretty useful though.

Noble Silence

As part of course everyone had to be silent for the course duration (except 10th day), so participants are not supposed to talk to each other at all, not even gestures. One could speak to Teachers for any questions related to technique or Dhamma workers (volunteers) for any other issues. But things are so very wonderfully well organized that one would not have to speak to Dhamma workers if he is concerned with his meditation practice.

I was not much concerned with this precept, as I knew that it won’t be difficult for me to observe this.

Day 1 to 3 (Practicing Anapanna)
First 3 days we were practicing Anapanna meditation i.e. to be aware of natural breath. I realized that the amount of time spend in unconscious thoughts was pretty high It would be more than 95% of total time I was meditating . (which shouldn't have been a surprise, but I was epecting lesser percentage at such a setting).And at the end of 3rd day I was unhappy with such high degree.

Day 4 to 9 (Practicing Vipassana)
But things changed drastically from 4th day, when we were taught Vipassana. The technique taught was very much similar to Inner body Meditation which I knew but never practised regularly. These were supreme days as percentage of unconscious thoughts though big were drastically lesser than earlier. I was feeling very serene.

Day 10 (Noble Chatting Day)

The real implication of Noble silence was well understood on 10th Day. On this day participants can break silence and talk to each other (except when they are meditating :-) ). On this day, degrees of unconscious thoughts are more and mostly revolving around what you spoke with understood about others. Though this would not be a surprise to know this but it is a revelation when you experience it.

You stay with people for 9 days, without talking to them, without knowing their names. And when on 10th day you speak to everyone and understand their name and background many of the unknowingly build opinions in your mind get broken.

There were few college students (which you could make out before speaking to them on 10th day), who had come for course in their vacations. They were having nice time. It was funny to see them express their rebellious spirit by making gestures (i.e. breaking Noble Silence precept) to each other when volunteers are not looking.

Food

Food schedule was like this.

6:30 to 7:00 AM: Breakfast (One breakfast item like Idli, Upma or Rice item ) and Tea.

11:00 to 11:30 AM: Lunch (With fairly more than enough items to have good

lunch).The only major serving of the day.

5:00 to 5:30 AM: Light Evening Snacks, Tea and one Banana or piece of papaya.

(Old Students i.e. Who were doing course more than once,

are supposed to have just glass of Lemon juice. But thankfully this was not moderated)

I was bit afraid on first day about not having anything after 5:30 in the evening. I was afraid that I will feel server hunger in night which will lead to headache (which happens sometimes). But luckily this did not happen & I understood the drastic positive effects it had on practice. I also experimented with skipping evening snacks once. I would like to alter my diet henceforth.

Overall Experience

Though some of the parts in talks were strange (i.e. I was reacting to those parts) and few utterly stupid (like precept of sexual misconduct, non-stealing). Though irritating these were the minor parts if you could ignore them (i.e. not make them food for unconscious thoughts).

Overall experience was very very good. Very nice & green ambience, good food (though it took couple of days to get used to less spicy food), focusing on nothing but meditation. I have plans to practise daily two 1-hour sittings which I hope I do.

My review is if you are thinking of taking a course .. Do It. Very unique experience.

4 comments:

  1. Abhi,

    It seems an unique experience. One gets a lot of time to analyze one's inner-self.
    Where was this course?
    Are there any prerequisites for this course? (Like age barrier..etc)

    Good to hear that you are happy & enjoying

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear you finally did it.
    Know you were thinking of doing this for long time so it must be very satisfying.
    Great description of day to day life as well. Even I was looking for dinner details after 5:30 pm snack. Looks difficult for me...

    -Gaurav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nike, Are you Vishal Nike?

    It is not about analyzing inner self. I attendated course in Banglore center. But there are centers world over. http://www.dhamma.org/en/alphalist.shtml

    There are no pre-requisite for the course, rather this course is pre-requisite to al-most all other courses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one now after edition
    Can check this link too http://spicygirl.livejournal.com/35736.html
    I found her expernc also to be a nicer one

    ReplyDelete